• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • RSS Feed

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Walks of a Lifetime

No comments:
 
In late June of last year I traveled to Chicago for professional development as my attendance at the University Photographers' of America Association annual symposium was sponsored by the university where I serve as chief photographer. Although the majority of my week was spent in the small hamlet of Burr Ridge where Moraine Valley Community College played host to the more than 75 photographers in attendance, I, nonetheless, had two days to explore the city alone.

Chicago is an easy city to love and after a burger at the Billy Goat Tavern, the intimate Ryan Adams show at the 299-seat Victory Biograph Theater and a generous display of soccer hooliganism at the Copa D'Oro hosted by Soldier Field, I didn't want to leave. One of my pre-trip, travel-geek discoveries definitely came in handy during my day after the conference ended.

National Geographic Traveler publishes podcasts via iTunes called "Walks of a Lifetime."  These 20-minute narrative itineraries by journalist Rudy Maxa provide an informative accompaniment to a leisurely stroll through one of 25 major cities. You download, sync to your iPod, pop in your earbuds and take your camera for a walk along a route guaranteed not to disappoint. When you've only got one day to see a city, take the "Walks of a Lifetime" with you. It's a terrific companion. I'm definitely looking forward to next month's walk through Rome.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff